This is one of my favourite things to talk about – Self-care! I love talking about it because I think it is such an important aspect for each person to practice. The idea of self-care never crossed my mind really until I had got into my graduate studies & it was talked about a lot and for good reasons. I loved the idea & wanted to begin to practice self-care more intentionally on a daily basis.
I am going to break it down into different categories: Emotional, Mental & Physical! The reason I am breaking it down into these different categories is because there are so many different ways to practice self-care & as you all know by now I am all about intentionality & being wholistic. Some things that you do for self care will speak more to your emotional self & others will speak more to the mental or physical self. I thought I would just give you a few ideas in each to give you some ideas.
- Mindfulness exercises are a great self-care activity. There are some great apps that you can download such as mindshift & calm to begin to practice mindfulness.
- Journal, this is something that you could do on a daily basis if you wanted to. It is quite freeing & allows you to get your thoughts out onto paper.
- Set a time aside that you can do some art. You don’t have to be an artist to do this but it helps to be able to connect with your emotional self better. Pick up some supplies from the dollar store to get you started.
- Start participating in yoga.
- Sit on your porch, drink tea or coffee (or wine) & just enjoy the silence & the beauty around you.
- Purchase an adult colouring book & begin to colour.
- Go on a coffee date with a close friend that you feel heard by & connected with.
- Go for a Bike ride – This is something that is refreshing & is easy to do.
- Go for a walk – it gets you out of the house & allows you to get some fresh air & gets you away from any distraction inside the house.
- Take a bath – go out & get yourself some bath bombs & some bubble bath and just relax in the tub.
- Decorate or do a D.I.Y. – For myself I find this to be relaxing even though it is a physical task. It allows me to just enjoy being creative.
- Pick up a class like zumba or a dance class – This is something that is active but find something that you would enjoy.
- Working out – This may not be an act of self-care for everyone but this is something that a lot of people enjoy doing as part of their self-care. And plus there are a variety of ways to work out – find a way that you enjoy.
- Pamper yourself – go all out with face masks, nail polish & maybe even some wine! Trust me this is one you won’t regret.
These are just a few ideas to get you started & thinking about some the things that you would like to incorporate as part of your self-care.
I would love to hear some of the things that you all do for self-care. Leave a comment down below.