*DISCLOSURE: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, WHICH MEANS WE MAY RECEIVE A COMMISSION IF YOU CLICK A LINK AND PURCHASE SOMETHING. PLEASE CHECK OUT OUR DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR MORE DETAILS.
I have had a lot of questions about my Butter Chicken Recipe. Actually it is a recipe that my sister-in-law & I have come up with based on another recipe. However, we have made tweaks to it. If you know anything about Jon & I then you know that we enjoy a variety of different foods. We like curries, Ethiopian food, and with all these different types of food I have learned to make them from scratch in the comfort of my own home. But for now I will just share my Butter Chicken Recipe with you! Seriously, be prepared to be blown away. This is a staple in our house & often we make it for people who come over for dinner. So today I want to share with you my Butter Chicken Recipe.
So here is the recipe card that I have. I will say this… the portions are a guess. I often add the amounts just based off of my own knowledge, so you may need to add more of any of the given spices that are listed. Just be sure to add the recommended amount then taste it to see if you would like to add more.
- 2-4 Chicken Breast (no bone).
- 1 large Purple/Red Onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 TBSP Garam Masala
- 2 tsp Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Ginger powder (Can use fresh diced ginger if you do not have the powder)
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 1 tsp Paprika/Cayenne Pepper
- 1 bunch of cilantro (optional)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 oz can tomato paste (not tomato sauce – should be a thicker consistency)
- 1 cup heavy cream (Whipping cream preferable)
*Note: If you can not find some of these spices at your local grocery store you can order them on Amazon. I have included links to each spice at the end of this recipe for you.
Once you have all your ingredients I will walk you through the steps below:
- First you will want to dice up the garlic & onion. Then put it in a saucepan with a bit of butter *We use a deep wok.
- Then cut your chicken breast into cubes & add it to the pan with the garlic & the onion.
- Once the chicken is browned add all the spices: Garam masala, curry powder, Ginger powder/or fresh ginger diced, turmeric, cumin, coriander, paprika or cayenne pepper, salt & pepper to taste. *The key here is to let all the spices seep in.
- Then add 1/2 cup of butter to the pan and let it melt down.
- After the butter has melted down add the 8oz can of tomato paste. Stir until combined.
- Then add 1 cup cream & simmer on low for 10 minutes or so.
- Then chop up the cilantro & toss it in if you are going to add it.
- Serve over basmati rice with a side of naan bread. I have a homemade naan bread recipe that I will share with you at some point in the future. But for now you can also buy it at your local grocery store & it usually comes in packs.
There you have it! A Butter Chicken Recipe to get your palette wet & wanting more. If you do make this recipe please let me know, I would love to see pictures of how it turned out as well, so feel free to tag me on Instagram – @estherbschmidt.
Links to the spices on amazon: