Hot Chocolate is a must have in the winter months especially when it’s homemade! This recipe is great if you want to do a little date night at home with just you and your spouse, if you are hosting a get together or a dinner party, really this is recipe is great for any occasion. So without further ado I will give you my hot chocolate recipe.
Homemade Hot Chocolate
- 1/4 cup Cocoa
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup Dark chocolate *You can use milk chocolate/white chocolate as well.
- 1 to 2 cups Milk (More depending on how many you would like to serve)
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream (I use Whipping Cream – it’s the best).
- *1/4 cup Honey or 1/2 cup Sugar (We use Honey in our household).
*Add more to taste as you are going.
There are two ways to make this. One way is to use your crockpot and make it over a couple of hours on low or if you are in a hurry you can make it on the stovetop. I will outline each process below.
Total time (2 1/2 hours)
Add all ingredients to slow cooker. Turn slow cooker on to low & leave for 30 to 45 minutes. Stir ingredients together after they have melted. And then let sit for another 2 hours.
Total time (15-20 minutes)
- Pour Milk & Heavy Cream into a pot on the stovetop on medium high heat.
- Let the milk & cream come to a simmer & then turn the heat down to low.
- Add 1/2 cup of Dark Chocolate (you can use semi sweet or whatever chocolate you would like). Stir into the Milk & Cream mixture until melted.
- Add 1/4 cup of cocoa to the mixture and whisk in.
- After everything is mixed well add the honey or sugar to the mixture & turn the stove up to medium.
- Allow the mixture to get to a desirable temperature.
*Once complete serve hot with your choice of topping such as marshmallows, candle cane, after eight sticks…. really you name it.
There you have it! It’s such an easy recipe & it makes for such a fun evening activity for you and your spouse or family. It also goes over well served at a party. Seriously you can’t go wrong. What are some of the drinks you enjoy in winter?