I thought it would be fitting that since it’s my 28th birthday that I wrote a blog post about 28 things I have learned in my 28 years!
1. Traveling is the best way to educate yourself. There is so much history & beauty all over our world & so much to learn about each place.
2. Money is fleeting. In other words, yes as an adult you need money to do pretty much everything but also recognizing that it is also not everything.
3. Choose your friends wisely. I once read this book & in the book it said something along the lines of “you are the average of the five people you spend the most time with” – Jim Rohn. Essentially pick your friends wisely.
4. Being a good person will never cost me anything. I have learned this throughout my life. I will be the first to say that I was not always the nicest person as a young adolescent. Being nice will never cost me my own happiness.
5. Never regret always learn. What I mean by this is I have found times when I have regretted something, however, in the end I choose to use that as a learning point for myself. I learn from my mistakes & this allows me to not regret things but rather learn & move forward.
6. Live life with adventure. I know for myself this one speaks volumes. We can get caught up in living a mundane life with little to no adventure. It’s okay to be adventurous! And this looks different for everyone.
7. Life moves faster the older you get & this reminds me to live & be present in every moment.
8. Thankfulness is something that we should practice year round. I have found that this has deepened my relationships with others.
9. It is true what they say about being forgetful the wiser you get. Notice I say wiser not older.
10. Flexibility is something that I have learned over the years. Plans that I have for myself do not always go the way I had hoped & being flexible helps me to not be disappointed.
11. Grass is always greener where you water it. For the longest time I heard the saying “the grass is always greener on the other side” but I am here to say I have learned it’s always greener where you water it.
12. Be the best you that you can be. We all have potential & that means we have to push ourselves to be the best us we can be.
13. Try and stay positive as best as you can. The power of positive thinking can really shift your entire mindset & how you feel about yourself & how you feel about life. Positivity always goes a long way.
14. Grudges hurt no one but yourself & pollute your own mind. It is much better to let go of these grudges than to hold on to them. Forgiving others is so much better than holding a grudge against them.
15. Comparison truly is the thief of joy. When we compare our lives to others we end up loosing out on the joy & beauty that we have in our own lives. “We won’t be distracted by comparison if we are captivated with purpose”.
16. Learned to love myself for who I am. Everyone is unique & that is the beauty of life. I have learned over the years to love myself for me & all the quirks that may come along with truly being myself.
17. Others opinions of me does not always mean truth. A few prime examples of this were being told that high school sweethearts never last & here I am many years later married to the love of my life & high school sweetheart. There was also doubt that I may never finish university but yet I have a Masters degree. Do not let others opinion of you define who you are.
18. Your own doubt can be the drive for your success. What I mean by this is turn your doubt into positives & let it drive you forward.
19. Fear does not dissipate as you get older…. in fact I have found it has only gotten worse. There are more unknowns when you are making your own decisions.
20. Being an adult is overrated. Adulting is hard & if I could tell myself one thing when I was an adolescent I would tell myself to not wish away my adolescences but rather relish in it.
21. Life does not have to revolve around work & neither does my identity.
22. Sleep is so very important. The older I get the more I realize how important sleep is. It’s like when a baby doesn’t get enough sleep they are cranky, grouchy & don’t function well. The same thing happens to adults.
23. Never underestimate your ability to change someone’s life. I love the quote that says “you were born with the ability to change someone’s life, don’t ever waste it”.
24. Going after your dreams should never be something you feel guilty for. We only get one life so live it to the fullest.
25. There is no amount of money in the world that can bring you joy!
26. Learning to step outside of my own comfort zone. This has allowed me to learn more about different cultures, people, & various other things. Stepping out of your comfort zone will allow you to experience the world in a different way.
27. Listening. I feel that this is self explanatory but I have learned to listen to others, their needs, the pain, the hurt & not always offer a solution to fix something but rather ask what they need from me. I know for me when people listen to me without jumping in with a solution I am more likely to talk with them again because I actually felt heard.
28. Even though I am in my late 20’s I still do not have life figured out & that is alright! In fact I think regardless of what stage of life you are in you do not have to feel like you have it all together or that you have it all figured out. It’s okay if you don’t!
Really as a whole I have learned that life is hard & it doesn’t always go as planned. There will always be people & things that disappoint you but it is how you deal with it that makes you who you are. Ultimately we need to recognize & understand that life is all about what we put into it & how we perceive ourselves. I have learned to love myself, have grace for myself, encourage & inspire others, and be the best that I can be. With all that said here’s to learning more about myself, the world around me, and other as I continue to get older.
I would love to hear some of the things that you have learned over the course of your life? Leave them in a comment below. And if something that I said resonated with you feel free to comment down below as well!